Using the Time

I'd just like to post some of the things I've been doing during this period in order to stay busy and offer some things that I've found useful since we've been asked to stay home from school/work. If you post what you've been doing in the comments below, we can learn from each other. Let's make the most of this time!

  • I make my bed in the morning. I used to not really see the point in doing this, but now it makes me feel like I've accomplished something right at the beginning of the day, which makes me feel better. Makes the room look neater, too. Plus, not much better than sliding into a made bed.
  • I've been watching videos from other Martial Arts teachers. Even without someone to practice with, I feel I've gotten to the point where I can learn a new technique by seeing it (even if it takes several times watching it/practicing it.) A lot of really great teachers are posting their skills online now during the pandemic for free. Stephen Kesting and Renzo Gracie are really good grapplers. I like Sang Kim for Tae Kwon Do. I also like Coach Joe Van, and Jesse Enkamp for Karate. Ginger Ninja Trickster is good, too.  For MMA, I love Lawrence Kenshin Striking Breakdowns. Look them up on Youtube. You can really learn a lot. For Jodo, I like the historical videos with Shimizu-Sensei.
  • I've been reading, especially about Stoicism, which I find very soothing. Especially Epicititus and Marcus Aurelius. One was a slave and one was an emperor, and they were both Stoic masters. Also, some borrowed books, including The Art of Learning, by a chess master. Bill Bryson is very funny, too.
  • Listening to podcasts. I really like Hardcore History, and Stuff You Should Know, which is co-hosted by my old college buddy, Chuck Bryant. 
  • Playing video games. Tomb Raider and Farming Simulator mostly
  • Planning online classes and shooting videos for them. Studying the software to help with that. Video editing.
  • Meditating, which I learned a long time ago from a Tibetan Monk. Now I use Sam Harris' app called "Waking Up", which he's offering for free. 
  • Helping my kids get their schoolwork done
  • Watching Netflix. LOMA Netflix Watch Party coming soon!
Here are a couple of useful apps I've found. All are free.
  • RBdigital. This one is great. If you have a library card, you can listen to audiobooks, read books and magazines all for free! 
  • Hypemachine for finding new music most people haven't heard of yet, because I'm cool like that.
  • Loggr lets me log anything I do and see stats for it, like pushups, reading, meditating, really anything. I enjoy keeping track and watching my progress.
  • Gymster is a workout app that has gone free while we're on lockdown. That was nice of them. You punch in the equipment you have and it creates a workout for you.
Lastly, I only check in on the news once in the morning, and once in the evening. I limit myself to that, or I'd only worry about things I have no control over (see Stoicism)